Dr. Katy Tran Turner currently serves as the Mental Performance Coach for the Buffalo Sabres and Buffalo Bills. Her primary role in this position is helping players and coaches optimize their performance by applying psychological skills and she supports the organization’s efforts to optimize the performance environment.
Katy also worked with Soldiers and their families at Fort Bragg, NC as part of the Comprehensive Soldier and Family Fitness program. Katy earned her doctorate in Sport and Exercise Psychology from Florida State University, her master’s degree in Exercise Physiology from Kent State University, and her undergraduate degrees in Biology and Exercise & Sport Science from UNC-Chapel Hill, where she played goalie for the varsity field hockey team.
Her areas of research interest are in performance enhancement techniques, team coordination, and leadership development.
In this interview, Katy and Cindra talk about:
* The differences she sees in the mindset between NFL and NHL athletes
* The importance of a pre-performance routine
* How the best implement the mental game
* What the best do different related to the mental game
* How to “park it”
* How her dissertation research informs her practice